Saturday 13 September 2008

A Cosplayer

Spent the day in Telford today. I went with two other friends for the Movie Comic Media Convention, which included going in Cosplay.

Literally "Costume Play." Dressing up and pretending to be a fictional character (usually a sci-fi, comic book, or anime character).
There are anime cosplay conventions around the world.

And my god is it fun! You literally leave reality and step into a realm where everyone is pretty much the same as you- costumed freaks. You have varying degrees of dedication- those who found the easiest outfit to cosplay (e.g Me) and then you got the die-hard fans. I'm talking about Kingdom Hearts fans who make their own Keyblades, Final Fantasy fans with their own Gunblades. It is quite a spectacular sight to behold.

But it's not all anime. I saw a few Spidermen (admittedly they were small kids with their parents), encountered K-9, found Waldo/Wally (I shit you not) , heck, there was even Jedi running around! I tried to challenge a green lightsabred Jedi with an empty Lilt bottle but I kinda lost (i.e He just looked at me.).
I got a t-shirt! It's reminiscent of the early 3 adverts with the violent Pandas in that it displays one panda with a bite out of it's head and another with an evil face... Oh, and I bought 2 boxes of what must be THE best sweet food on the planet. I'm talking about Pocky. It's like a breadstick-type thing mostly coated in chocolate/flavoured yoghurt. The chocolate one is the best though.
So if you don't mind, I will now go an pig out on Pocky. I'll see you all when I'm 2 stone heavier.

No comments: